git repo hosting #
- pro: gets the job done!!
- pro: people actually find your stuff (organically) with tags, etc
- pro: the search is good
- con?: lowkey too many features, i dont need actions and all that stuff but does no harm so idk…
- con: microsoft
- con: proprietary
- con: github copilot copyright debacle
- pro: can be self hosted
- con: doesnt work without js enabled
- con: dont like the UX. also the sidebar feels weird to use but i guess they had to do something different than github (apart from being worse lol)
- con: still has no rss feeds and likely will never have them
manual git hosting #
- pro: decentralization, own your stuff, etc
- con: seems unnecessary? i make backups anyways and github even put some of it in the arctic lol
- con: im lazy
i like the barebones feel of cgit, but gitea looks interesting too.
do people still use bitbucket? is that still a thing?
cgit-pink looks promising but lets see…